Monday, April 25, 2011

Tips for Wine Lovers


In case there’s someone following this blog who actually hopes to get some useful information about weight-loss and weight maintenance, here’s one that might be helpful.

I live in New York Finger Lakes wine country and I love wine. In the warm months life slows down and the wine flows freely during the evenings when friends gather. It’s a nice way to live but from a weight-loss standpoint it is a nightmare. It’s set up perfectly to create a calorie-feasting meltdown. It’s social, lots of food around to nibble, and wine to release inhibitions about eating. So over the course of two years how did I manage to lose 100 pounds and still enjoy this environment? I had to develop some strategies to survive it. And here they are, in no particular order.

I slowly savor my wine and only drink the good stuff. This is the only food that I consume that I can do slowly.

I use a smaller wine glass and I drink a large glass of water between every glass of wine.

I eat an Atkins protein bar, drink a protein drink, or eat Greek Yogurt with fruit shortly before the socializing starts. Things with some fat content and protein work best for me. I used to avoid fat but my trainer convinced me it was part of why I had evening food cravings. She was right.

I eat lower calorie, higher fiber meals that day. Oatmeal and Greek yogurt for breakfast, Vegetable soup & salad with tuna for lunch are favorites. I don’t go hungry.

I bring my own low-calorie, high fiber, crunchy & filling snacks. 

I avoid my "trigger foods" like the plague. One bite and I'm sunk. (Peanut M&Ms, chips & salsa, salty nuts, cheese & crackers...)

I stay away from the snack table. If I’m sitting I slide the foods out of reach. I talk a lot and I chew gum (when I’m not drinking the wine).

I wear something form-fitting like slightly tight jeans and a belt. They remind me why I don’t go overboard and they make me uncomfortable when I do.

Good luck! Even when watching calories there’s room for enjoying favorite things like wine. 

34 Days (of maintaining since I met my goal) and counting.

No comments:

Post a Comment