Thursday, April 14, 2011

My Biological Fashion Clock


I went clothes shopping last night and it was fun. Two years ago I would not put fun and clothes shopping in the same sentence.

So far, my blog might have you thinking that I’m very high-minded about weight loss. It’s all for the fine benefits of health and fitness, no vanity involved at all. In the beginning, that was true. I did start dieting and exercising because I wanted to feel better. I never mentioned looking better in my goals because I didn’t think that was possible. I thought I’d missed that boat and I didn’t want to disappoint myself. This body had taken a lot of abuse, stretched out of shape for all those years. BUT, there’s good news….

One of the good things about losing weight and exercising so my body is toned is CLOTHES! Not dark, non-clingy, baggy, matronly, please-don’t-notice-me clothes, but bright, form-fitting, knee-revealing, leather boots, textured hose, almost-endless selection of clothes.

One year in my mid-forties I got confused about my age and for an entire year I thought I was a year older than I was. When my birthday came around and I recalculated I felt cheated. I had prematurely aged myself. So for the next year I subtracted a year from my age. That’s a how I feel about clothes. For 20+ years I didn’t have a lot of great choices and I prematurely aged myself.

One day on the 100 pound weight loss journey I reached the long-awaited transition from plus-sized to regular-sized clothes. What a glorious feeling it was until I stepped into Macy’s and scanned the acres of regular-sized clothing. I left. It was overwhelming. Not just what size do I wear and what will look good on me, or where do I start? But who am I? Am I young, old, sexy, modest, bright-colored, tailored, frilly, trendy, classic, fun, professional, reliable, comfortable, or edgy? All the things our clothing projects. And my answer is YES!!! I’m all those things.

So I started having fun. If it was on sale, fit and I liked it, I bought it. At first I sought everyone’s approval. Am I too old for this? Is it too tight? Does it show my best assets and hide my worst? Then, the heck with it, I’m broadcasting a new me to the world. I’m sure a fashion adviser would look at my closet and say “Nancy, your wardrobe is confused.” And I’d have to agree, because so am I. I am cramming 20 years worth of wardrobe and body image experimentation into one. So friends, please endure this phase, I’ve set back my biological fashion clock. After a year, if I’m really embarrassing myself, lovingly take me aside and suggest a few changes. But for now I’m loving it and it’s owed me.

24 days and still counting

No comments:

Post a Comment